Interview with Cynthia L. Knight Author of Whyte Chocolate

Reading and Writing Addiction was able to catch up with Cynthia L. Knight, Author of Whyte Chocolate for an interview.  We are excited to share this insightful interview today with our readers.


RAWA: When did you first discover that you were a writer?
Cynthia L. Knight, Author Whyte Chocolate
CK: I fanatically wrote in journals from middle school through high school, so I always had the bug for writing.  However I don’t think I believed I could be a writer until I received an A on a particular English paper in college with encouraging comments from my professor. That’s when the light turned on for me.


RAWA: What is your favorite part of writing?
CK: I’m fascinated with the art of story-telling. The masters make it look easy, but it actually takes quite a bit of skill.  I never know where my characters will lead me or how the story is going to end. So when I get to the point in my writing where I see I have a complete story (beginning, middle, and end), that’s my favorite part, then it’s just a matter of making it happen.


RAWA: What do you think is the most challenging aspect of writing?
CK: While I’m writing the most difficult part is managing what I call “the messy middle”.  I equate developing the middle of a book with walking with a ticking time bomb, it must be done carefully or it could explode in your face! After the book is written the most challenging part is the editing process.  It’s painful, but necessary.


RAWA: Tell us about your latest release.
CK: Whyte Chocolate revolves around the lives and interactions of the Murdock Sisters. The lines of sisterhood are drawn and tested between healing, romance and hate.  I have a fantastic book trailer check it out at www.cynthialknight.com


RAWA: How did you come up with the title of your book?
CK: I have always said God gave me the title.  It just dropped in my head one day.  I had the title and the name of one secondary character long before I ever began to write the story.


RAWA: Who are some of your favorite authors?
CK: Terry McMillan, Connie Briscoe, Michelle Andrea Bowen, and Perry “EbonySatin” Brown.


RAWA: What do you think has influenced your writing style the most?
CK: Honest feedback from peers and colleagues. 


RAWA: As a writer what is the accomplishment that you are most proud of?
CK: It occurred with my other book Big Mama Wisdom for Couples: 151 Questions to Ask and Discuss before Marriage.  I had a book signing at Barnes and Noble and sold out of all the books that they had pre-ordered. That was a great feeling and I hope to accomplish the same or more with Whyte Chocolate.


RAWA: How did you get published?
CK: I decided to self-publish after years of trying to go the traditional route.  I wrote Whyte Chocolate in 1997 and self-publishing was emerging but the authors were not considered credible writers.  So after I had taken the time to heal my wounds from constantly hearing no thank you and the stigma of self-publish wore off, I dusted myself off and started a small publishing company to self-publish my books.


RAWA: Do you have any advice for writers looking to get published?
CK: First and foremost, do not give up.  Do your research, asks a lot of questions, learn the industry standards, and take your time and really examine what you want from your publishing experience and make your decisions based on your needs. 






Whyte Chocolate by Cynthia L. Knight is published by Mosaic Paradigm Group, LLC.  You can purchase a copy at Amazon.com., Barnes and Noble, Books a Million and all major online retailers.

Comments