Interview with Valerie Hockert, Author of "As I Await the Hunt"

Reading and Writing Addiction was able to catch up with Valerie Hockert, Author of "As I Await the Hunt"  for an interview. We are excited to share this insightful interview today with our readers.


Author Valerie Hockert
When did you first discover that you were a writer?
When I was in my late 20s and was teaching dance and exercise classes, and started writing
instructions for students and then wrote health articles, an exercise book, and then short stories.


What is your favorite part of writing? 
Coming up with the storyline is my favorite part of writing.


What do you think is the most challenging aspect of writing?
The most challenging aspect of writing is to keep the story flowing, and to keep the reader’s interest.


Tell us about your latest release.
As George is sitting in his tree stand, he questions things and then his mind wonders with each movement he sees he relates it to people and situations in his own life.  His wife, his children, his marriage, his friends, his job, are all included in this reflection.

What ever happened to my life? George asks himself as he is sitting there.  It obviously isn’t where it should be; he isn’t where he should be.  And here he is--sitting in a tree stand waiting for that perfect deer, when he should be….


How did you come up with the title of your book? 
George awaits the deer…or the hunt…therefore As I Await the Hunt.  The other three books in the reflections books start with As I…


Who are the main characters and why are they important to the story?
George is a middle-aged fisherman who reflects upon his life, as like other men his age, he isn’t happy where he is.  However, as he reflects, he realizes it is where he should be.


What do you think has influenced your writing style the most?
My 8th grade English teacher got me interested in reading classics and writing about them, which got me really interested in writing.


As a writer what is the accomplishment that you are most proud of? 
That I can get my ideas from my head to paper which becomes a book.


How did you get published? 
I first got published as the publisher believed that I had written something that others would want to read.


Do you have any advice for writers looking to get published?
Don’t write just for yourself; write for your audience.




"As I Await the Hunt" by Valerie Hockert is available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Audible and iTunes. 


Comments