Interview with Hayley Angela Gilbert, Author of "The Actors Handbook: TV and Film Acting"

Reading and Writing Addiction was able to catch up with Hayley Angela Gilbert, Author of "The Actors Handbook: TV and Film Acting" for an interview. We are excited to share this insightful interview today with our readers.



When did you first discover that you enjoy writing and wanted to become a published author?

I have always enjoyed writing. It’s a great way to get your voice heard and educate others.
Author Hayley Angela Gilbert
I never really thought I would published a book, but many actor friends said I should publish material, that I have a great way of explaining how to do things and passionate about educating others. I've spent the last two years writing scripts and had the idea of writing an a book that I could use on set, something that I could carry around with me as a quick reference guide. It's great to actually see something you have written available for customers to buy.  As an actress, I am creative and this is another way for me design and encourage people to learn, in a fun and simple way and I am looking forward to writing many more.


What is your favorite and the most challenging aspect of writing?

My favorite part of writing is the research, I always love learning but also being able to draw from your own life and pass on the knowledge to others. You feel as though you have great achievement in your life. I love to see the finished product and feel proud of what I have created. The most challenging aspect I would say  is finding words that are easy to communicate for all person regarding their nationality. I want something for all background. The idea with this book is that it’s a simple reference guide. A lot of acting books that I read are full of complicated jargon and I just want something that an beginner to a pro can understand.


Tell us about your latest release.

Its an 'Actors Handbook' for TV and Film Acting. It's an actor's tool from the beginning of getting a script to marketing yourself as an actor. It covers building a character, screen vs stage acting, handling props, continuity on set, performing to green screen, crying on cue, monologues and motivational quotes from famous actors. I wanted it light hearted but informative in a simple and creative way. I am very pleased with the outcome.


What do you hope readers are able to get from reading your story?

I hope readers feel confident in their craft but also motivated to pursue their dreams. Acting is a very competitive field and the idea with this is I want them to look at the cover, read the quotes from famous actors and live and breathe their passion for acting. I want them to feel confident when on set, as it can be daunting process, dealing with time constraints, budgets and different crew members. I guess it a little like a actors bible.


Who are some of your favorite authors?

Growing up as a child I loved Roald Dahl, Games and The Giant Peach, George's Marvelous Medicine, The Twists and Fantastic Mr Fox. I love George Bernard Shaw plays such as Pygmalion and Oscar Wilde's 'The Importance of Being Earnest'.  I love the Stephenie Meyer Twilight series also.

Do you have any advice for writers looking to get published?

To have a clear objective. What do you want your reader to accomplish from reading your book. This will help when writing because you have a clear path but also when marketing to your target audience. If you brought the book what would you want to know and read. Is it a book that you would buy yourself?


Author Bio:

Actress Hayley Angela Gilbert, has established a career in Television and Film Acting. Hayley is now passing on her knowledge to younger professionals and pro's that want a refresher course.  Hayley was the lead actress in Crime Team on Channel 4, she has toured extensively in theater's in the Uk and appeared in numerous commercials and musical productions.


"The Actors Handbook: TV and Film Acting" by Hayley Angela Gilbert is available at Amazon.com.


Comments