Interview with Lacey Reah, Author of Enlightened Ones



RAWA: When did you first discover that you were a writer? 

LR: When I was about seven or eight. I got really into writing a story that was supposed to be about
Lacey Reah, Author 
something simple. A story started to form in my mind about a girl who was kidnapped and forced into a boat. The plot kept thickening in my head and I wrote a story with no end. I ended up writing way more than the other kids and my teacher was really shocked by it. I also wrote a poem that everyone liked. It read:
There once was a man named Lewy
Who had a friend called Chewy
Chewy kept chewing all day and night
Then he found out he was chewing Lewy.

RAWA:What is your favorite part of writing?

LR: I like getting lost in another world, exploring it and learning that there are so many possibilities out there.

RAWA: What do you think is the most challenging aspect of writing?

LR: At this point of my life it is all about balancing family, career, fitness and doing what I love such as writing. I'd like to be innocent like I was when I was a child and writing was just fun. I think the craft would be easier if I didn't psyche myself out due to issues that came up along the way such as worrying if people would like the work or feeling guilty if the work doesn't make money and takes away from family time.

RAWA: Tell us about your latest release.

LR: Enlightened Ones is about the people who got pulled into a dangerous cult. It explores their stories and shows why the joined, what their roles were, how certain crimes and secret activities happened within the organization, how some of them escaped, and how they picked up the broken pieces of their lives when they did.

RAWA: How did you come up with the title of your book? 

LR: I started writing the book so long ago that I can't even remember. Lol

RAWA: Who are some of your favorite authors?

LR:Neil Gaiman, William Shakespeare, Suzanne Collins, Orson Scott Card, Pearl S. Buck, Robert Frost, V.C. Andrews, William Wordsworth, Alexander Pope, Poppy Z. Brite

RAWA: What do you think has influenced your writing style the most?

LR: At first it was horror and fantasy. I always had a way of making up crazy stories and questioning the possibilities of things. When I was a teenager, I looked inside and started examining myself and my philosophy. This made me into a bit of a psychological writer as I explored the everyday issues of life. I am heavily influenced by complicated relationships I had growing up and my love for the theater. I used to be an actress and even wrote a few plays while living in New York.

RAWA: As a writer what is the accomplishment that you are most proud of? I'm proud to be a published author.

LR: How did you get published? I didn't want to go through the hassle of submitting my work so I published all of my books myself. I hired my own editors and illustrators and made it my own personal, creative endeavor. It was a wonderful experience because it was all my own and I didn't have to cater to anyone or compromise my artistic choices.

RAWA: Do you have any advice for writers looking to get published?

LR: Just do it. Don't second guess yourself or brood about whether or not you are good enough. Just write. Submit your work to publishers or publish it yourself.





Enlightened Ones by Lacey Reah is available online at Amazon.com, Smashwords, Barnesandnoble.com and Lulu.com.

Comments